GPS/Spread Spectrum Transceiver Terrestrial Systems
The information below on discontinued products is provided for individuals who are still using these older systems. Product descriptions may be time sensitive or even outdated. Please contact Telonics if you have questions.
TGW-4590 with urethane over 1/8" butyl collar with a top mount GPS antenna and CAST-1 option
- GPS/SST systems allow the user to collect GPS and other biologically significant data, store the data to memory and use SST (Spread Spectrum Transceiver) data transfer link to download data to a user in an aircraft at (5-10 miles LOS) or on the ground (1-4 miles LOS).
- The system can be programmed to store high accuracy standard GPS positions in memory and/or GPS/QFP positions. QFP is a new rapid fix GPS technology developed at Telonics that obtains the data necessary to calculate a GPS positions in as little as 3-5 seconds. QFP technology has been used in marine applications for several years and is making it way into the terrestrial applications. The technology can be used to increase the number of positions collected or extend the time over which positions are collected by as much as 3-6 times relative to standard GPS positioning. Location accuracy for GPS/QFP is virtually the same as standard GPS.
- Other biologically significant data that can be collected include activity level, temperature, and mortality events. For some marine mammal applications (eg. polar bears) a saltwater switch can provide information on time spent in and out of sea water.
- The user can select listening periods when the units can be download using the high speed data link (10kbits/sec) and the SST data transfer technology which is fully certified with the FCC and Industry Canada (IC). The user does not have to obtain any additional licensing for operation of this data link in the US, Canada or other countries where FCC or IC certification is accepted as a standard.
- Real-time clock calendar (RTC) controls all timing functions and is recalibrated with GPS time to assure high accuracy event timing.
- Shutdown with a small magnet allows users to turn each of these configurations "on" or "off". When turned "off", TGW-4xxx series based units consume less than 12 µA. Given these low current levels, users can store their units for extended periods with minimal impact on operational life.
- Units can be refurbished to their original condition at the factory.
- All products can be programmed by Telonics Product Programmer (TPP) which uses a GUI interface. TPP makes it possible for users to program their own systems and simulate performance of the system prior to deployment.
- On-board sensors can be activated or deactivated in the field. Data collection regimes and schedules can be altered as required. Sensor data can be enhanced or deleted from Argos uplink transmissions.
- Listening Schedules can be modified.
- Data Decoding - Data are processed using the Telonics Data Converter (TDC), which supports both the SST link and the direct download of memory using the TSC-4 cable. TDC provides a comma separated value (csv) output file with time stamps for all data collected. TDC can also be run in the "batch mode" for hands off operation.
- TDC allows you to plot GPS fixes and GPS-QFP locations in Google Earth.
GPS SST Systems
||Dimensions L x W x H (in, cm)
||Canister Weight (g)
||Estimated Weight with Collar (g)
||GPS with QFP**
||2.78 x 1.8 x 1.42
7.0 x 4.5 x 3.5
||2.9 x 2.3 x 2.0
7.4 x 5.8 x 5.1
||3.25 x 2.75 x 2.25
8.3 x 7.0 x 5.7
||4.25 x 2.7 x 2.3
10.9 x 6.9 x 5.8
* These intervals were calculated on TPP using the following criteria: average environmental temperature of 25°C, expected average time to fix of 90 seconds, 6-hour SST window every 14 days.
** These intervals were calculated on TPP using the following criteria: average environmental temperature of 25°C, expected average time to fix of 30 seconds, 6-hour SST window every 14 days.
Specifications: Electronic and Packaging - GPS/SST Show
General System Specifications
Timing is synchronized to GPS time when available. If the GPS time is not then internal timing accuracy is:
6 min/year at 25° C
30 min/yr -20 to +40° C
47 min/yr -40 to +70° C
||Mortality, Activity, Temperature, Low Voltage
||Capable of storing 100K fixes in nonvolatile flash memory in association with other sensor data.
SST-901 Spread Spectrum Radio Modem Specifications
|Industry Canada ID
||902.102 - 927.908 MHz
|Spread Spectrum Type
||Frequency Hopping FSK
|Applicable FCC Rules
||Part 15 (15.247)
|Number of RF Frequency Sets
4 sets, non overlapping
Set 1: 902.102 - 907.100 MHz
Set 2: 908.120 - 913.220 MHz
Set 3: 915.260 - 920.360 MHz
Set 4: 922.808 - 927.908 MHz
|Nominal Channel Frequency Spacing
||Logic-Level Clocked Serial
||500 mW (+27 dBm) nominal
± 0.5 ppm @ 25° C
± 1.0ppm -30 < T < +60 ° C
|Modulation Data Rate
|Modulation Bandwidth (99%)
||40 kHz typ
|Sensitivity for 10-4 BER @ 19.2 kbps
||<-110 dBm typ
|Operating Temperature Range
||-40 to +70 ° C
VHF Transmitter Component Specifications
|Available Frequency Options
Option 702 134-139 MHz
Option 705 140-154 MHz
Option 707 146-160 MHz
Option 715 156-172 MHz
Option 720 160-177 MHz
Option 740 174-192 MHz
Option 750 191-210 MHz
Option 760 210-237 MHz
Note: The frequency can be programmed in 100 Hz steps within a given frequency range.
Better than ±3 ppm at room temperature;
±5 ppm total tolerance over full temperature range
||-40° to + 70° C
||Programmable (10 to 250 msec)
Programmable (560 to 5000 msec)
3 separate pulse period values selectable:
Period 1 (indicates last GPS fix successful)
Period 2 (indicates last GPS fix unsuccessful)
Mortality period (if no motion for selected time)
||Mortality Sensor (parameters are user programmable)
||Programmable seasons and duty cycles.
Programmable Low/Medium/High power.
Effective Isotropic Radiated Power (EIRP) varies, depending on packaging, antenna configuration, and immediate environmental conditions.
* California Users: This transmitter meets the California requirement of EIRP <0.009 W for all configurations.
Better than 30 dB (>40 dB typical)
<-35 dBc at 10 kHz offset from carrier
Aging: <2 ppm/yr
Shock: <1 ppm 3000 g x 0.3 ms x ½ sine x 3 dir
RF output stable to 10:1 VSWR, all phases
Radiated harmonic levels are degraded with poor load VSWR.
Spurious emission specification maintained for >10:1 VSWR
||Transmitter parameters programmable via antenna "1-pin" interface and Telonics TPP PC software.
Electronics are sealed in hermetic metal canisters containing the electronics, batteries, and all interconnects. Glass to metal feed-thru technology is used to exit antennas and power. This packing is hermetic and can be tested utilizing a helium leak bomb test for hermeticity to assure < 1 part in 106 atmospheric CC per second.
|GPS Antenna Specifications
|| In collar mounted wildlife configurations The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted on the dorsal surface of the neck. The GPS antenna is installed in a high impact nonconductive plastic housing. The form of the housing presents sloping sides so that it will be impervious to chewing and gnawing as is possible. A highly armored antenna cable connects the GPS antenna to the instrument package.
||Collar designs are species specific.
SST Tranceiver and Antenna
SST-901M Transceiver shown with test antenna and USB cable (not included with the
SST-901M) are available separately. The transceiver is not waterproof and the user must
protect the unit from the elements.
CM 007724-900 SST Ground Station Antenna
5/8 over 1/4 wave ground station antenna can be used from a fixed site or as a handheld
antenna. A mounting bracket is included. 7.2dbi of gain. VSWR 2:1. Height 32 inches.
Wind load 100 mph. Type N female connector. Cable is not included.
CM 008828-900 SST Antenna, Ground Station
5/8 over 1/4 wave ground station antenna can be used from a fixed site or as a handheld
antenna. A mounting bracket is included. 5.4 dbi of gain. VSWR 2:1. Height 16 inches.
Wind load 100mph. Type N female connector. Cable is not included.
CM 007462-001 SST Antenna, Aircraft
A blade antenna designed for mounting on the belly of an aircraft. Cable is not included.
WI 008860-006 SST Antenna Cable, 6 ft
CN 007412-001 Adapter
The adapter is designed to interface the WI 008860-006 Cable to a CN 007412-001 Aircraft antenna mounted on the belly of an aircraft.
CM 008994-001 Test Antenna
WI 008599-001 USB Cable
This information on discontinued products is provided for individuals who are still using these older systems. Product descriptions may be time sensitive or even outdated. Please contact Telonics if you have questions.
Telonics supports these products as possible based on availability of parts, software, or other considerations; but no longer sells them new.
Gen 3 SST/GPS Systems:
Lithium Battery Shipping Regulations
Telonics Inc. ships all systems containing lithium batteries in accordance with the US Department of Transportation rules for hazardous materials set forth in 49CFR and the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.
Shipping dangerous goods can be complicated and confusing, consult a dangerous goods specialist if needed. The general requirements for shipping lithium batteries according to 49CFR are located in Part 173, Subpart 173.185 in the link below.
Since 1970, Telonics has built a reputation based on product quality, product support, service, and customer satisfaction. Telonics strives to produce the highest quality products, and to support those products accordingly.
Because of extreme conditions and the unpredictable nature associated with most telemetry applications, problems occasionally arise. Most problems can be resolved quickly. In all cases, we hope to be able to work in partnership with users to resolve problems to the user's satisfaction and to uphold our demonstrated commitment to excellence. If problems should arise, all products must be returned to our factory for failure analysis.
Warranty: GEN 4 GPS Systems - Show
Telonics warrants its GPS products to be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of one year from the date acquired. Telonics does not warrant batteries.
Telonics designs and manufactures systems for a variety of applications using several satellite systems (GPS, Argos, Iridium, and Globalstar). At the time of manufacturing, Telonics equipment is tested to verify compatibility with the applicable satellite system(s). Telonics does not warranty equipment against changes in satellite system specifications or satellite operation after the date your equipment was manufactured. Unforeseeable or unplanned system changes would include, but are not limited to, elevated ambient noise levels in the radio frequency bands used for satellite communications, elimination of service in a region of the world, data outages due to technical problems within the satellite system network, or reductions in data transfer capability due to alterations in the constellation as a result of premature space vehicle failures or failure to replace space vehicles in a timely manner.
If a defect occurs, return the equipment to us within the proper time frame at the following address: TELONICS, 932 E. IMPALA AVENUE, MESA AZ USA 85204-6699. The customer shall arrange for and pay all shipping, insurance and related charges incurred in the shipment to and from Telonics under this warranty. Damage to any equipment resulting from misuse, accidents, unauthorized service, extreme conditions, or other causes, is excluded from this warranty. Telonics does not assume responsibility for loss or damage to equipment during shipment. Telonics does not assume responsibility for delays resulting from shipment on commercial or private carriers. We insure all equipment shipped from our facility and suggest that shipments to Telonics also be insured.
Upon the timely return to our facility, if defective, the product will be replaced or repaired at our discretion at no cost to the customer. This remedy is the exclusive remedy. This product is supplied without any further warranties or conditions, expressed or implied, including warranties of merchantability, quality or fitness for particular reason or those arising by laws, statutes or trade usage or course of dealing.
The entire risk, as to the results and performance of the product, is assumed by the customer. Neither Telonics, nor its suppliers, shall have any liability to the customer or any other person or entity for any indirect, incidental, special, or consequential damage whatsoever, regardless whether Telonics has been told of the possibility of such damages or that such damages might be foreseeable. Telonics has no responsibility or liability for the claims of any third party. The maximum aggregate to the customer, of Telonics and its suppliers, shall not exceed the amount paid by the customer for the product.